Name:
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

Friday, February 24, 2006

An Olympic Sport?

Last night, I took in my first two parades of the 2006 Carnival season. I can't even begin to explain how good it felt to celebrate a "normal" activity with the rest of the city. Three of my fav guys down here (Daniel, Jason, and Zack) and I enjoyed Chaos and Muses. It was their first Mardi Gras parading experience and they are completely hooked! Their experience was highlighted by the fact that Muses is an all female krewe, and these cuties found much favor with the ladies. They walked away with so much bounty I'm afraid they'll be disappointed with the rest of the parades. (We're making signs tonight, just to insure they catch quite a few throws the next few days)


Okay, so I've decided if Curling can be an Olympic Sport, then the 2008 Summer Olympics should include a "Mardi Gras Throw Catching" event. Seriously. Those of you who have not attended a Mardi Gras parade may not fully understand my logic, but I think those who have attended know exactly what I'm talking about. Anyone can catch a bead during Mardi Gras, but only the dedicated can score the best throws. It takes skill, strategy, determination, endurance and even a little luck to catch the best the krewes have to offer. And competition? Watch two grown men catch the same strand of beads. Only a truly competitve sport would make those men tear the strand in half instead of relinquishing the plastic beads to someone else. Last night, I even witnessed my friend Jason (a normally sane, respectful, godly man) step in front of a two-year old to catch a stuffed animal. Last year, I walked two blocks with my entire upper torso inside the window of stretch limo begging the rider to give me a Zulu coconut. . .talk about dedication. And you think Aerial Skiing is dangerous? You could lose a hand, an eye, or even get trampled at a Mardi Gras parade. Think I'm joking? Ask Jenny Riddle. There's not much that hurts as bad as taking a bag of beads to the face. Walk down the street of a parade route and you'll hear people in the crowd discuss strategy and compare bounty. I'm telling you...it's a sport.

8 Comments:

Blogger JDRichSLP said...

Hey girl - welcome to the blog world! I'm glad you finally joined. I look forward to hearing about your adventures, your trials, your triumphs...
And, how can curling be an olympic sport, but they took softball and baseball out for the next summer olympics? Huh? - Love, Jess

2:25 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I'm with you girl! And yes, even one large strand of beads thrown hard can leave bruises on one's face...believe me, I know from first-hand experience. And, I think that's why some families at seminary had a baby--so they could get more and better throws. Throw me somethin' mista'!

2:33 PM  
Blogger The Hudgins said...

i agree...and try doing this while preggo! i was trying to protect myself but getting the goods at the same time. it was difficult. i had asah block for me a few times. it worked. next year though, we will completely rack up! i may be willing to rent jordan out.
have a good weekend and enjoy mardi gras!

tara "i've already eaten way too much king cake" hudgins

7:17 AM  
Blogger Hollie Carson said...

Liz! Great blog! And the pic is a very nice addition for us visual people. I love reading blogs with pics! Now, I've never been to Mardi Gras, but I will say, after reading your blog, my curiosity has been pricked and I'm ready to throw some elbows and score some serious beads. Can't you just see me? It'll be like the old days of wresting with Clayton and Richie at home...so I can handle that part. And then to score some beads on top of the brutality,...sounds like a great adventure! So, when are the try-outs for the next Olympics?

7:49 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

Wow, I enjoyed reading that. I really had no clue about Mardi Gras. I was told that people drink alcohol and disrobe for these beads. What did Jenny do to have beads thrown at her so forcefully? I thought she was a good person.
So there are normal people at these things? It sounds kinda' violent.. you guys should calm down, hold hands, stand on a hill, drink coca cola and sing "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmoneeee!"

11:38 PM  
Blogger Travis and Stephanie said...

Liz,
I love your blog! It cracks me up! I miss seeing your smiling face up here in Georgia. Hopefully, Travis and I will move back shortly (who knows how long that may be though) and we can attempt to hang out or something. We are going to need people to do stuff with once we move- we are having social anxiety attacks since we live so far away from everyone right now! By the way, I am going to put you as a link on our blog (I found you on Jenny's blog) if ya don't mind!

12:45 PM  
Blogger JDRichSLP said...

See, the point of this thing darling, is that you are supposed to write on it... :)
love ya - jess

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz--
If you lived where we live, all you would have seen was curling--Bead catching would be way more interesting. If they have it...I'll meet you there...Beijing 2008! love you girl! ...sara beth

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home